Wow! It has been a while since I’ve posted anything, but the last few weeks have been so extremely busy! Last time you were here, I gave you a little tour of the house and some Before/During pictures to get you up to speed on what’s been happening around here. We are slowly (I mean SLLOOOWWWLLLLY) getting everything put back together. Three of the five spaces that we had mud work done on have been primed, and 2 of those have had their final coat of paint: the den and the master bedroom. YAY! You would think we would be close to having at least one of those ready to move furniture back in to and get back to normal, but no.
We I decided that I would like to replace all the trim with something a little simpler and craftsman like. Andy LOVES doing trim work! 🙂 We also have to replace all the old black and mismatched outlets and switches. So I really want to get all of that done before I try putting an entire room back together.
Sooo while you all are patiently waiting for me to reveal some big changes, let’s go back in time for a moment, shall we?
When we moved to our house last summer, we knew we wanted to live in this house for a while before we made any major changes. However, I was going to be teaching piano lessons from home now (I was previously a traveling piano teacher, so to be in one location was such a great opportunity!), which meant that I needed the piano/living room to be somewhat in order when lessons started….in less than a month from when we moved in!!
Side note: For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, you have probably already seen this transformation, but don’t leave me just yet. I have a few updates and surprises in Part 2 coming up later this week 😉
Here is how the room was when we moved in. All white everything. Walls, trim, blinds. Blah and boring. Prior to moving to this house, I had been dreaming of board and batten. I was seeing it everywhere on Pinterest and I just knew one day I would have a room with board and batten….and as soon as I saw this room, I knew I had struck gold. I could already envision just how amazing this room was going to be! We had one dilemma though: we didn’t want make any major updates to the house for appraisal purposes before the house was actually ours. (Long story, but it was a family house and we were very lucky to be able to move in before we had to purchase it.)
I went back and forth with the board and batten idea versus just throwing a neutral coat of paint up, because I knew we didn’t have a whole lot of time to do anything before the first week of lessons. And then Andy said the magic words, “I think we should go ahead and do the board and batten.” Squeal!!! Ladies, you know when your husband says things like that, you don’t hesitate, you don’t think about it, you immediately take him up on the offer and get. to. work!!
Now there are many tutorials out there on how to do board and batten so I will try not to bore you with too many details, so here goes.
Obviously, you have to measure. We decided to start on the longest wall and work our way around the room. Honestly, we kind of did a rough measurement, talked about how far apart they should be based on different blogs we had read, made a couple spacers to help with laying it out, and just went for it.
Haha! He loves me, can’t you tell?!
We also debated on leaving it with just one horizontal rail like in the picture above, but once we started the second rail, we knew that was definitely the way to go.
We continued on around the room until we met back around at the doorway where we started. I have to admit, it was a bigger project than I thought it would be. Andy is a machinist, which means that he is used to working with metal parts down to the hundredth and thousandth of an inch, so he is very precise with measurements. Which is annoying, yet wonderful all at the same time 🙂 We measured every single vertical piece to make sure that everything stayed level, because as you may know, houses tend to settle, which means walls and floors don’t stay level. It reeeaallyy makes things fun! We also realized that we were going to have to caulk every board edge that was touching the wall. The caulking was probably the worst and longest part of the entire project. One thing I would have done differently is that I would have painted the wall behind the boards before we put them up. It would have made life a little easier when it was time to paint all the boards. But oh well. You live and learn.
So here is what the room looked like when I started piano lessons last September. I had not finished painting all the white trim, but it was good enough to get me by for a little while. I wish I had better pictures of the process, but you get the general idea. Also, meet our cat, Gilly! She oversees all our projects 🙂
Then here it is at Christmas. In the months between September and December I was able to give it a little more of a homey feel. Such a huge difference!!! This is definitely my favorite room in the house to be in. Probably because it is the only pretty room in the house…but that will change soon!!
Since Christmas, I have done a lot to this room so check back later this week for part 2 where you get to see how the room looks now, now that I’ve added a few pieces of furniture and a little of this and that. I don’t think a room is ever finished, but this one is getting pretty darn close. And I LOVE it!! I can’t wait for you to see it!